Need a tooth pulled? A tooth extraction, or dental extraction, is the removal of a tooth from its socket. There are a number of reasons why dental extractions are necessary. Dr. Curt Posey's dental practice is located in Fresno, CA. Here are five reasons you may need a tooth extracted.
1. Tooth Damage- A very common reason for tooth extraction involves a tooth that is badly damaged, from decay or trauma. If a tooth has been damaged by decay or trauma, your dentist will try to fix it with a crown, filling, or other dental treatment. However, if there is too much damage for the tooth to be repaired, your tooth may need to be removed.
2. Infection- If decay extends to the pulp, bacteria in the mouth can enter the pulp, leading to an infection. This can often be corrected with a root canal treatment, but if the infection is so severe that root canal treatment or antibiotics do not cure it, tooth removal may be necessary to prevent the infection from spreading.
3. Crowded Mouth- A crowded mouth can be caused by genetics or a traumatic injury. Sometimes patients need teeth extracted to prepare their mouth for orthodontic treatment. The goal of orthodontic treatment is to straighten teeth, which may not be possible if you have a crowded mouth.
4. Gum Disease- Periodontal disease, which is also referred to as gum disease, is an infection of the structures around the teeth Dental extractions are done when periodontal disease has loosened or severely damaged teeth. Removing teeth prevents periodontal disease from spreading and damaging surrounding teeth and bones.
5. Impacted Teeth- Impacted teeth are teeth that remain “stuck” within the gums and jawbone. Impacted teeth may need to be extracted because they cannot erupt properly. The most likely type of teeth to be impacted are the third molars or wisdom teeth. Some wisdom teeth don't need to be pulled, but symptomatic cases need to be removed by a dentist.
If you need a tooth pulled, why wait? We can help you today! Call Dr. Curt Posey at 559-227-6755 right now to schedule a dental appointment in Fresno, CA. Our Fresno dentist will perform your dental extraction with a gentle touch!